The Directorate would be headed by HAG level officer of Traffic Department viz. Adviser/Mobility and assisted by Executive Director/Director rank officers of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and S&T Departments posted exclusively in this Directorate.
Broad items of work to be handled by Mobility Directorate would be as under : –
1. Identification & prioritization of train corridors for raising speed;
2. Identification of path for timetabled freight trains;
3. Timetabling issues pertaining to speed of coaching;
4. De-bottleneck of the particular stretch of the network;
5. Monitoring progress of capacity augmentation works required to increase speeds;
6. Asset failures affectivng mobility and corrective action;
8. Condition of rolling stock and speed potential;
9. Permissible speed on track structure;
10. Permanent and Temporary speed restrictions;
11. Other low coast initiatives like IBH and IBS if required;
12. Replacement of Locos hauled trains by DEMU/MEMU; and
13. Any other items/subjects assigned by Board.
This new Directorate will work directly under the supervision of Chairman, Railway Board.